Saturday, November 14, 2009

Accessible entrance to the Front of the Town Hall

For too many years now I have been seeking an entrance to the front of the Town Hall for those who have mobility problems and have quite frankly been shown to the side door, in my opinion this was nothing more than an insult.

The first time I noticed this was watching guests entering the Town Hall for a wedding and one of the guests was in a wheel chair, her options were either be lifted up the steps, with men struggling to carry the wheelchair or have someone push her to the side door. I was appalled.

This was not a one off situation and has happened whenever someone has problems going up the steps to enter.

Several years ago I put forward a notice of motion that modifications be made to the entrance to give everyone the right to enter by the front door.

Unfortunately this took some time as the plans had to be submitted to the Environment Agency and the Planning Service, as well there were problems with the authorisation of the ramp but at last these have been approved. My grateful thanks to the Officers from the Town Hall who persevered with the plans and as well who had to listen to my nagging!

I was delighted to hear that the plans were approved at the Planning meeting and that there will now be two front entrances, which can be accessed by persons in wheelchairs. A ramp will be positioned from the car park with a resting area for wheel chairs.

Permission has also been granted for one designated car parking space beside the ramp and the good thing is that there is sufficient money within the estimates for the work to be carried out. I look forward to the work beginning next summer and that it will be carried out as quickly as possible.

Needless to say I am thrilled that this will now become a reality and that in future our Town Hall will be accessible to all via the front entrance.