Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Is this value for Money?

North Down Borough Council has had been twinned with Bregenz for 20 years the aim of this friendship is to develop social, economic, educational and cultural links between the two towns. I have always stated that I have no problem with the Mayor visiting places such as Bregenz and would encourage schools, groups and any one who wishes to visit anywhere as an ambassador for North Down.

Bangor was twinned on October 21st 1987 and since then around 1000 people have participated in exchanges. However, I question yet again just how much ratepayer’s money has gone on trips to Bregenz over the years.

I have received figures which give me real concern. Since 1989 to date this twinning has cost the Borough some £98,000 with only approximately one sixth of this money going to grants to various groups.

I raise this issue to highlight the amount of money spent on these particular visits and wonder is the ratepayer really getting value for money?