Tuesday, January 23, 2007

MLA Selection Success

I was delighted to be selected as one of the three candidates to run for election which is proposed for 7th March in the North Down/Donaghadee and Millise area.

The selection procedure was described by one Party member as a very clear vote.

In my address to a packed meeting I highlighted the experience I had to take on this demanding role, having served 12 years as a local Councillor. I have also invaluable experience of activities outside the confines of Council for example within the fields of health, education, disability and many local community groups to name but a few. I have also practically addressed many contentious issues not just within my own area but those affecting Northern Ireland, These include as the unjust water rates being imposed and the best education system within the United Kingdom becoming a disaster area.

I have observed the increasing detachment of our direct rule Minister and passionately believe that we need to regain control of our own affairs and our destiny through the restoration of the Assembly.

I assured the people of within the constituency area, if elected, I will do everything in my power to repay their confidence. What lies ahead for the Assembly will need difficult and courageous decisions but local people who know the score and have the interests of their own communities at heart must take these decisions. I believe that we need to regain control of our own affairs through a restored Assembly.