Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Autistic Spectrum Disorder

This is an issue I raised some months ago at a NILGA meeting and asked that all Councils be circulated to support the very special case of Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

If I could define more accurately – Autism, - is the name given to a set of neurodevelopmental disorders in the way a person communicates and interacts with other people. .
Today autism is recognised as one of a number of related ‘pervasive developmental disorders’ which also includes, ‘Asperger disorder’.

This is a condition most often noticeable in children around 3 years of age.

On 31st December 2005 – some 686 children in Northern Ireland were waiting to be assessed – a disgraceful situation.

Lord Magannis spoke on this subject in the House of Lords and described the provision of early assessment and intervention in Northern Ireland as unacceptable. While there has been an increase of core funding to Autism NI, which is appreciated, but this amounted to no more than 4p per day for each Autistic child in Northern Ireland again a disgraceful situation.

At the moment there is no cure for Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and at best all that can be done is to make the world a more ASB friendly place and increase understanding of the condition.

Northern Ireland has no formal strategy to deal with this condition, but other areas in the UK and Europe do have strategies and legislation. In some areas in N I, the waiting time for diagnosis has topped 35 months.

This is unacceptable for our children. And I would ask where ever possible that this council supports the Autism NI campaign, that there must be a N I Autism Strategy with a separate programme of care for Autism and that there must be a N I Autism Act which is set out in the document Blue Print for Change.

I am seeking Council support for the proposal –
That this council supports the Autism NI campaign for
1. A, N I Autism Strategy
2. A separate programme of care for Autism
3. A N I Autism Act

I am delighted to say that Council fully supported my proposals.