Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oil Spillage in Crawfordsburn Glen

I was upset to be called by residents to see the environmental disaster which had taken place in the river and pond in Crawfordsburn Glen. As soon as I arrived in the village all I could smell was a heavy disgusting stink.
The ducks had disappeared from the pond, and the river and the banks were covered in a black scum.
On contacting the officers in the Town Hall and the Environmental Services, I can only pay them the highest of praise. There arrived on the spot very quickly and immediately tackled the hateful job of trying to clear out as much of the yellow scum from the river and clean up the river banks as best they could.
The is was a wanton and unnecessary act carried out locally and I am pleased that the local Police service were following up just how it happened.
Unfortunately there was a further spillage and once again everyone rallied to clear the mess up.
This area is a beauty spot used by many, villagers and visitors alike and residents along with myself are keeping a close eye on the area, such an act of vandalism must not be allowed to happen again.